Everydub + the Standard

PUMP up the jam
"Black goes with everything." A more lazy, rudimentary fashion statement I've never heard! While the fashion pack swears by the color black, I avoid it like a vampire does crucifixes. I believe I own exactly one black article of clothing (well two if you count my gym shorts). I find black to be the most boring, least expressive fashion choice.

This is especially true when it comes to shoes. Black is basic and for most women who buy designer shoes, shelling out at least $600 a pop is not a daily occurrence. So why pay for something plain and forgettable when there are a multitude of gorgeous, notice-me styles begging for a good home? Now don't get me wrong, every woman needs a black pump: her just in case/problem solver shoe. For that you have your reliable Loubs (aka Christian Louboutin), Jimmys, Manolos and Guccis. These are for work (if you prefer black to neutrals or brown) and funerals where your footwear is not what you want people to notice. (I'll allow one exception for fall and that is Dries van Noten's black suede almond toe pump with natural snake heel and sole). But I fail to understand a woman who wears black pumps to have a drink with les girls or for a romantic night with her male companion(s). To this I say: black shoes are for dumb people!

I have a friend (I'll protect her identity) who always consults me for wardrobe decisions from what shoes to buy to what the perfect fall tote is. She needed help on an outfit for date night at the Standard. Should she wear a black tunic and her black platform Loubs with acid washed skinnies or leopard leggings? Blah! The outfit says nothing with those boring pumps! If you're going for a toned down look with your clothing choice, then balance it with feet flare. I voted for the acid skinnies to offset the dark top and chucked the black pumps in favor of her fluorescent yellow Loubs. She threw on a stack of chunky gold bangles and I accessorized her with a worn-in grey disco bag (what I call a smallish bag on a long strap. Every girl needs one. Not to be mistaken with the horrible tourist staple, the messenger bag). Needless to say, she and the outfit were a hit.

So ladies, when you think of buying a plain black pump, think again. Opt for a punchier, more daring style. This fall make it Fendi's brown modified Mary Jane platform, or Elizabeth and James' mud gathered peep toe d'Orsay or Prada's brown cut out studded platform. May your black pumps R.I.P.