Everydub Style Inspiration

Designer of the Week — Alixandrea Tieben
I have been meaning to feature Alixandrea's innovative designs for some time now but life has just been a little hectic of late but I finally have the chance to show you the designs that Alixandrea brought forward to me. When I went to go have a look at her Etsy shop and I immediately thought to myself these are so great for Summer especially for this season because we all know crochet is without a doubt one of the biggest trends right now and her creative, vibrant and fun crochet accessories and jewelry designs will be the perfect compliment to any crochet inspired ensemble.

Because I haven't seen designs like hers, I wanted to do a feature on her collection and even more I wanted to find out more about Alixandrea and share with all of you. So I asked her if I could ask her some interview questions and she was delighted to take part. I just want to say I have never interviewed a designer who has answered her questions so enthusiastically, it was completely refreshing and I wish more designers would her same interest.

So here it goes...I hope you enjoy

1. SO WHAT MADE YOU START YOUR OWN JEWELRY AND ACCESSORY COLLECTION?

what made me start... hmmm... i guess my aunt had some old pattern books for crocheting with fine thread. since i knew how to read patterns i thought "what the heck I'll give it a try. It shouldnt be too hard" it was actually a bookmark which turned out perfect! so then i started thinking about how this bookmark would be a pretty bracelet! after crocheting flowers with the thread, i figured that they would be georgous bracelets. after that, a whole world opened up to me as far as possibilities with crocheted jewelry goes.

2. WHEN DID YOU LAUNCH YOUR LABEL?

I launched my label just a few months ago on Febuary 11, so im technically still a baby!

3. IN YOUR COLLECTION, YOUR DESIGNS ARE MADE OUT OF CROCHET, WOULD YOU SAY YOU SPECIALIZE IN CROCHET DESIGNING?

Yes i would definitely say that i specialize in crochet designing. i can barely sew, and working with metal aggravates me, but i still do it when i need to. my mother and i have always made jewelry with beads and pearls and such, but its nice to make crocheted jewelry because no one around me can do it and it's more unique.

4. WHAT INSPIRED YOUR CURRENT COLLECTION AND WHY?

There are many things that have inspired my spring collection (which there is much more to come then what is on my website right now). Some of my inspirations include 70's bold colors and patterns, geometric shapes and straight lines, nature and flowers, and the store Anthropologie (which is my love). Other inspirations include old crochet patterns all the way from the 1940's! i was able to inherit a ton of older vintage pattern books and some of them i am using in making the overall pattern, but turning it into something else. For example i took the pattern for a table cloth and used it for inspiration on making a bracelet! so much fun! I just love incorporating crochet with modern fashion. when most people hear crochet, they think of their grandmother. but to me, its a way to be creative and express myself.

5. WHAT WOULD U SAY IS YOUR FAVOURITE PIECE OUT OF UR COLLECTION AND WHY?

Right now my favorite piece is out of my cocktail ring collection. You can follow the link here for what it looks like: http://www.etsy.com/listing/70438932/chic-cocktail-ring. It is my favorite because I've never seen anything like it, it is 100% unique, and i just made it spure of the moment without having any idea of what it was going to turn out like. for some reason it reminds me of the 80's.

6. HAVE U STARTED TO PLAN FOR YOUR NEXT COLLECTION, IF SO WHAT DO YOU HAVE IN MIND?

Yes my summer collection is going to include lots of floral bracelets, necklaces, and earrings. I'm even planning on making some shirts and also footwear! Im going for lacey, sexy, even some comfy cozy. home decore such as pillows, and also colorful bags and clutches. bold patterns and big colors as well as muted nudes and greys. ruffles along with straight edges. I swear I've got two parts to my design style: floral, lacey, girly, and ethnic, while my second style is contemporary, clean, geometric and mechanical. its wierd but i love both styles. so hopefully i can successfully combine the two without it looking like a mess ;)

7. WHAT DO U SEE FOR YOURSELF AND YOUR LABEL FOR THE FUTURE? WHAT DO YOU WANT TO ACHIEVE AS A DESIGNER?

In the future, i would love to be a successful etsy seller. I just need to get my name out there. I wish to be different then all the rest, and not make things because others are demanding it, i want to make things to start a new style and for others to love it because it's different but yet familiar at the same time.

8, WHAT HAS BEEN THE MOST EXCITING PART OF THE YOUR JOURNEY WHILE BUILDING YOUR LABEL? WHAT HAS BEEN THE HIGHLIGHT FOR YOU SO FAR?

The most exciting part to me really is showing others my product once im all done. i love it when their eyes light up. I gave fingerless mittens to my best friend's mom and she said they gave her chills haha. Thats what i love the best about this. is bringing a little bit of happiness to someone even if it's just for a second. the highlight for me was last winter when i had some crocheted jewelry in my aunt's semi-annual boutique (it only opens twice a year for a few days.) A lady walked inside and loved some of my necklaces that she bought a ton of my stuff, then asked for some custom orders! That was the first time that i saw such passion for my work and it made me giddy for days.

I would just like to tell everyone that i have a lot more that i have made that i just have not put on my Etsy website yet. but for a little taste of whats to come, feel free to take a look at my shop!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ALTernativeCreations?ref=si_shop