Everydub + shopping

Baby I Got Your Money, Don't You Worry!
LiL Kim by David LaChapelleI've been working in retail for eight years and in the last few years I've noticed a little trend: more than any other demographic, African American teenagers are dropping big bucks on designer merch.  In many designer stores, this group is becoming a formidable part of the client database.  Tony shopping meccas like the Americana in Manhasset (where logo sales keep stores like Gucci, Louis Vuitton and Fendi rolling) have seen these shoppers rise to A-list status.  At first, these kids were coming in and paying in tens and twenties for their logomania.  Recently though, they've begin to come in and pay with credit cards.  Some of them buy kicks to wear to school, some wear them to a party and still others are sporting them on their tropical vacations.  They buy this season's styles and return next season to pick up the newest and latest to make sure they're the first wearing it.  But it MUST be all logo, all the time.  

Now, I get privileged UES kids coming in with mommy and daddy's platinum Amex and dropping $700 on a pair of platforms.  But my friends and I make a decent salaries and don't shell out $1000 for a pair of logo shoes and the matching accessories on a regular basis.  So where are they getting the flow? Because I sure as hell know that even though my parents were very good to me, they never bought me $500 sneakers!  I purchased my first pair of designer shoes (caramel Ferragamo loafers with gold gancini bit) on credit.  Wherever the funds are coming from, I'm all for shopping and living it up. But no one likes credit card debt so here's hoping they shop responsibly.