Everydub Style Inspiration

Designer of the Week: Jane Gowans
For sometime now I have been such a fan of Jane Gowans designs. Ever since I saw her collection at Vanilla Ink in Edinburgh, I have wanted to share my discovery with all of you. What attracted me to Jane's Geology Rocks collection was that it had a soft natural feel with a touch of modernism which is exactly on trend for this season and seasons to come! Jane's Geology Rocks collection of pieces that can be worn with casual day looks to formal ensembles....from very feminine pretty looks to more of the boho grunge looks. The collection is without a doubt very versatile and wearable. A couple of weeks ago I got in contact and organised a interview so that Jane could share more detail,here it goes...

Question 1: What's inspired your Geology Rocks collection?

The inspiration for Geology Rocks is rooted in naturally occurring rock
structures. For me this was an exploration of form and texture and the
collection focuses on organic sequences and repetition. You can see the
fragmental forms of the small studs morph into grand show-stopping
structures seen with the Tectonic Bangle and Basalt Ring. By incorporating
peridot and garnet, the stones become like faceted rock pools glowing from
their settings.

Question 2: How do you plan to create stand out and unique collections
against other jewellery designers?
I don’t focus on trends. Each collection I create is led by personal
fascinations and my aim is to create timeless pieces which don’t fall to the
whims of the seasons. Craftsmanship and meticulous attention to detail
underpins my work, I love combining traditional hand skills with cutting
edge processes and I seek to push the boundaries of my personal style and
craft with each collection.

Question 3: What is your favourites piece from your collection?

I am loving both the Delta Pendent in the new rose gold colourway, which we
launched this season, and the Basalt Ring in the black oxidised silver
finish. They are so wearable and really add something special to every
outfit.

Question 4: What was the most challenging part and most enjoyable part of
putting your collection together?

The most challenging part can sometimes be knowing when to stop. I can get
really carried away when I'm feeling inspired and often have to narrow down
my designs to a specially selected collection.

The best part is seeing the designs turned into reality, finishing them by
hand and sending them out into the world. It is so lovely to be able to see
my jewellery from start to finish and know they are exactly right.

Question 5: Which UK celeb do you see wearing your line?

Our debut collection, Matchsticks, has already been worn by Emeli Sande on
the covers for both her single and number one album 'Our Version of Events.'
Although I would love to see Kate Moss wearing some statement Jane Gowans
pieces!

Question 6: What type of girl wears Jane Gowans jewellery?
A girl who knows her own style. She’s design-savvy, sophisticated,
independently minded but knows how to have fun with her look.

Question 7: What jewellery designer do you admire and why?

I admire Hannah Martin. She’s grown such a strong brand and her work has a
real punch.

Question 8: Now that you are a jewellery designer do you see yourself
designing for another department in the future like handbags?

Jewellery really is where my heart is but I’d love to collaborate with
designers from other fields, such as fashion, to create a limited edition
range; William Tempest and Christopher Kane would be top of my list!

Question 9: If you had to give a word of advice to the all the young
jewellery designers out there what would it be?

Read Paul Arden's 'It's Not How Good you are, It's How Good you Want to Be.'
It really inspires me.

Question 10: Last but not least, what can we expect from your next
collection?

Our 2013 Captain collection will be a fusion of our signature minimalist
style with a nautical 'twist’. Launching online in February 2013 it will
range from small everyday studs to knock out knuckle rings.

I hope you love the collection as much I do! I'f you would like to see more of Jane's collections visit her website below.

http://www.janegowans.co.uk/

Much Stylish Love

Tiffany x