Everydub + Zara

My Week(end) With Katherine
 My Christmas vacation began this past Friday at promptly 5pm when I ducked out of the compulsory work holiday party early to catch a ride on public transportation for my triumphant entrance into NY's John F. Kennedy International Airport.  I took a time machine back to 1976, which is what the Delta terminal at JFK smells like, and boarded my 7:35 PM flight to Miami.  A few hours later, I was home in pajamas cuddled up in bed gossiping with my parents til well past 1 AM.  The Holiday Inn 2011 (as I have titled my winter break) was off and running. The schedule was jam packed with all sorts of activities, events and errands to prepare for Christmas, New Year's and Maya's birth and I was eager for it to start.  A short disco nap later and I was shimmying into my Zara leather shorts and jetting over to Kathy's Baby Shower (I just typed and deleted the words "bridal shower".  I don't know why I get such confusion over bridal and baby showers.  In this case, it's probably because I drank the entire afternoon before Kathy's wedding and washed the champagne down with a Xanax #badidea).  Mrs. PS did a creative job with the invites, the girls did a great job decorating Vivi's backyard and Makeup Artistry by Jessie's very own Jessie Diaz did an amazing job decorating Kathy's face. It was a slightly moist afternoon, with temperatures nearing 95 degrees in December, but definitely a fun time.  Lots of catching up, gossiping (we're Cuban — it's THE national past time) about who got fat and looks like they ate their kids and in some cases, their entire family.  There was more sugar on hand than Hansel and Gretel would know what to do with: cupcakes, cake, meringues, pastelitos de guayaba, soda, more cupcakes. And, though I was watching my girlish figure, I managed to Hoover down more than 2 dozens pastelitos and not explode from constipation, as guayaba is mythically touted as the cure for diarrhea.  After presents were open and clean up time was done, there was the requisite bolita session with Kat, AdriPS and Vivi in which no topic was left undiscussed.Sunday morning found me racing to Target to buy toys for Santa's Helpers, a gift drive run by some friends to help families who can't afford gifts for their children. Kathy and I had decided to participate so I had to shop for a little boy whose wish list was simple enough: cars, a piggy bank and a CD player.  I quickly rounded up a variety of Matchbox cars and even one of those loop-de-loop playsets.  The odd request of a piggy bank (what was this poor kid gonna fill that sucker up with??? Beans!?!), I fulfilled with a globe bank so he could dream of traveling the world.  But the CD player was pretty tough.  I scoured the aisles at Target and asked a few of the wetbacks there where they had CD players. They ushered me to "la fila cuatro" where I only saw stereo and iPad accessories.  I considered buying the kid an iPod but wondered if he had a computer to sync it up to and nixed the idea because it would mean an iTunes subscription and heartbreak.  So instead, I got him his very own boom box and Justin Bieber Christmas CD!!!My mother reminded me that the suggested attire was holiday gear. IGNORE. Lacoste polo and leopard Sperrys pour moi.  I'm totally anti-Santa hats and red/green and anything reeking of holiday cheer.  Not that I don't like the holidays it like totally clashes with my fashion philosophy.  As if! Nevertheless, it felt good to see the kids' eyes light up as they opened the wealth of gifts. But I wondered if it wouldn't have been better to share condoms and birth control with some of the parents in attendance.  Some of them had 5 children — no wonder they can't afford gifts!!  Not only did I do something unselfish, but I also got to spend time playing with my nephews.  Bounce house, monkey bars, playground slides and sand in my shoes.  Tough time keeping up with those little suckers, and completely worth the ungodly smell of recess I had when we wrapped up mid-afternoon.An after party followed at my parents with my brother, SIL, the boys and Kathy in attendance.  Canton Chinese food, Dad's homemade egg nog and redhead antics abounded.  Brayden flirted with Kathy, Dylan serenaded us on drums and more gossip swirled.  The boys went on their way around 9PM. Kathy my parents and I (reluctantly) settled in to watch DVDs for the night.  Luckily there was a DVD malfunction so we watched The Help (#wipesbrow).  Well, my dad dozed off and smartly decamped to his comfortable bed about 30 minutes in.  My mom's eyes shut around the hour 15 mark and Kat started symphonically snoring at the hour and a half point.  I, too, was nodding off and had to maneuver a few cookies in stealth pantry raids.  As the credits began to roll, Kat spryly sprang up from the couch and asked my mom how she had liked the movie. Just go to sleep.  
Monday morning, Kat and I awoke, she in my old twin bed, me in my "magic bed" to have morning bolita.  After a good, solid hour of chit chat, I made a bagel for myself and her favorite Eggo buttermilk waffles for Kat.  Joy! Then we were surprised while at the breakfast table: my sister's boyfriend and his parents came by to drop her off after their romantic weekend getaway in Vegas.  They unexpectedly came to the door and my mother graciously invited them in to meet the family.  My mother, Kathy and I were all in pajamas; neither Kathy nor I had brushed our teeth.  Mom may or may not have ... But like an ever-ready hostess, she offered Cuban coffee and any indecency was quickly forgotten. 
An outfit from Valsan — the refugee discount store at Westchester mall.  Conveniently sandwiched between TJ Maxx and Walmart.
And speaking of indecency ... We hit up Westchester mall for some returns and a heavy dose of refugee Cubanity.  We wore our NY best to brave the crowds: Kat in a fedora and maxi skirt and I in rolled up bleached jeans, a hipster fitted cap and baroque bracelet of semi-precious stone charms.  I'm sure there are stare holes burned into the back of our outfits as the clueless masses looked on in confusion, wondering if we were creatures from another planet.  Missions accomplished and time to move on.  So we continued on to Sunset Place for our movie date, which Kat had planned since last Thursday! Yes, Thursday as in four days prior.  No, I'm not kidding.  We picked up our tickets to see My Week With Marilyn then shopped around for a bit before jetting back in to snatch popcorn, sodas and good seats.  From Michelle Williams' first appearance on screen, it's as if we were transported back in time and were actually experiencing Marilyn Monroe strutting onto the set.  Williams channels her every nuance, blink, wink, gesture, pout, swagger. She exudes sex and confidence while conveying a heartbreaking self-doubt.  She's at once a seductive siren and an innocent ingenue, playing the dichotomy with ease and conviction.  Her sensitivity and desire for acceptance tugged at my heartstrings and I most certainly added a Marilyn bio to my reading list. The cast of exceptional actors that surrounded Williams was quite impressive and totally unexpected: Kenneth Branagh, Dame Judy Dench (<3), Emma Watson, Dominic Cooper (hot) and the coltish but attractive Eddie Redmayne (sigh). If you haven't seen MWWM and had no plans to, have Kathy make your plans and go watch it.  Now. The day continued with some more shopping at our old retail haunt, Dadeland Mall, where I got my career start over 10 years ago. Kathy practically made a bee line for the food court (she's eating for two, you know) and I cheerfully followed.  She treated me to Chicken Kitchen, we stuffed our face like in the FIU que bayu days and made fun of fat people who eat food court food. 
Chop Chop!
We finished off the night with the girls' Secret Santa exchange during which Adri killed off half of the world's population, Vivi reminded us that it was from Europe and Kathy wore her fedora in summer weather.  I tried to write this post yesterday but was a little too distracted by Kathy trying to balance her checkbook (who does that!?!?)

Finally, it was time to bid farewell to Katherine this afternoon.  But not before getting kicked out of Target for bringing in Chacha, Kat's baby puppy.  We also visited our friend Celioni and met her newborn daughter Mia — NOT to be mistaken with Maya — then grabbed some quick, yummy tapas/sandwiches at 100 Montaditos. Located in Midtown, 100 Montaditos is a clever take on a sandwich shop: with 100 bite-sized sandwiches on the constantly changing menu and scrumptious sides, it's the perfect spot for an afternoon snack or a weekend spread.  Then it was off to the Opera Tower to deposit Snow White in her castle to wait for her prince to come.  My Week(end) with Katherine had come to a close ... but luckily I've got a few more days of Miami lovey-ness with my bff since 2000, planned by her, bien sur