Everydub Style Inspiration

Let's get together
"Nice to see you." "How are you?" And now the latest one: "Let's get together." With these innocuous sentences we show our politesse and proper upbringing. We express our superficial concern for strangers or that friend-of-a-friend, hoping not to get an honest response. We expect "I'm fine. And you?" rather than "My life is in shambles. The guy I was dating hasn't text me (because who calls anymore) in 2 days. I have a UTI and I think my boss is going to fire me because I didn't want to sleep with him!"Now, "Let's get together" (LGT, if you will) has become the empty nicety: you don't want to specify a venue or event so you offer up the trite, generic LGT and hope that you won't really have to commit to anything. You did your part in extending the invitation so you're OK with yourself and feel like you've gone the proverbial extra mile. I have found myself guilty of this in the past, so lately I've taken to offering up specifics. LGT is an almost dismissive invitation: I'm just trying to be polite but I don't really care if we meet again or not. Instead of LGT, I propose to, for example, have a drink on Tuesday night after work because that makes things a little more real and cuts out the follow through required by LGT. Right then and there, you can debate, agree and set your reminder on your Blackberry or iPhone. So next time you find yourself uttering the grating LGT, think again (Unless you could care less about seeing that person again; in which case, LGT away)!